Wednesday, February 15, 2006

sigur ros, nashville, valentine's day, and kyle tv











So I have to start with yesterday because it is fresh in my mind - sigur ros in Nashville, TN, on Valentine's Day.

The day started out with Martha, Amon, Nadia and I meeting at Kyle's place around 9am or so. Kyle started telling me about his weekend in New York crashing Fashion Week and getting in with the guys from Project Runway - all for a documentary style short. The stars seemed to be aligned in his favor and he decided it was clear that we should ride the momentum and take his cameras with us to Nashville, see if we could meet sigur ros. After getting coffee and making some final preparations, we headed off for Nashville, TN, a mere four hour drive from Atlanta.

The drive up was great. Amon and I had a chance to chat and get to know each other a little. Kyle napped. I followed Martha and Nadia.

Once we arrived in Nashville, Martha decided we should drive by the Ryman where the show was going to be, and when we drove past the alley, the band was getting into a cab. Kyle spotted them and ran out with the camera, but only in time to catch their manager. He got the guys number so he could try and set something up for later. I couldn't believe it. It was too perfect. "synchronicity!" Amon said.

We checked into our tiny hotel room and then headed out to Fido's for some food.
*ugh. I have a headache. I've had little sleep in the last 10 days. I'm just going to get to the point and post the pictures.

Kyle and Martha interviewed several fans outside of the theatre while Nadia and I did the shooting. Shooting this completely renewed my forgotten desire to be a cinematographer. I'm hoping to be involved with other projects with Kyle in the future. Can't wait to see how this shoot turned out. Kyle's spin on what we were doing was that while the goal was to meet and interview the band, he wanted to talk about "Iceland meets Nashville," and what the fans there were like and what they thought of the band. We had some interesting respsonses, some not so. You'll have to wait and see it.

After the show, which was amazing, we waited and waited in the cold. Eventually we hung out with the band until 3:30am at this crazy country western bar right next to the Ryman. Mission (almost) accomplished. We were hoping to get more time on camera with the band - and really interview them. Kyle and Martha are likelly heading to Texas to see them in a couple weeks (I may join them, work permitting) at which point I believe Kyle will be able to get what he really needs to tie up or complete this piece of the project - now that he has his foot in the door, so to speak, with the band. Let's just hope they weren't too piss drunk to remember us!

OH! And I almost forgot. Bon Jovi was performing down the street! So there is some interesting footage around that too. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home