Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Even more new music to report on


I've known about this for a bit- bought the single on itunes a while back...but i kinda forgot. Anyway, I'm super excited about this release too. I've always been a big fan of ebtg. Love Tracey's voice.

Tracey Thorn Comes 'Out of the Woods'

Posted Feb 21st 2007 11:12AM by Steve Baltin
Filed under: News, Album, New Music, Exclusive

Everything But the Girl chanteuse Tracey Thorn will release her second solo album -- and first in a quarter century --on March 20. 'Out of the Woods' also marks the singer's first new work of any kind in five years, a time during which she has devoted herself to motherhood. So what made the vocalist decide to return to the musical scene?

"I got a bit of time on my hands 'cause the kids started going to school, and I suddenly thought, 'What am I going to do now? Am I just going to go shopping for the next 25 years?'" Thorn tells Spinner. "I sat down and I started trying to write an autobiography focusing on how I got into music in my teens and started being in bands. And I think what happened during the writing of that was it just triggered me in the whole sort of memory of who I was."

The superb album finds Thorn, as she has with EBTG, blending a singer-songwriter sensibility with dance beats achieved with collaborators like Ewan Pearson and Charles Webster, among others. She says her personal relationship with her EBTG cohort and life partner Ben Watt helped keep her up on the scene. "In this house, obviously we listen to a lot of dance music, 'cause Ben's running a label and DJing and stuff," she says, adding that she also drew inspiration from several current singer-songwriters. "I listened to the sort of acoustic and folky side of stuff, people like Sufjan Stevens, M. Ward, who are obviously brilliant writers. And I think listening to that kind of stuff is inspiring."

The combination of electronic and acoustic sounds is something Thorn is obviously familiar with, but the final results were somewhat surprising to her. "To be honest, it's not the record I thought I was going to make when I started," she says. "I thought I was going to make a much quirkier, slightly weirder record. I think it turned out to be more of a pop record than I imagined I would make."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home