Wednesday, January 04, 2006

winter in atlanta/ Amy & Freddy










It's January 4th, and today at 4pm on my way home from work the temperature reading in the Jetta was 70 degrees! January 4th, and it's 70 degrees. Anyone wondering why I moved here from Chicago - there is your answer, or at least one of them.

Speaking of Chicago, I have been missing Amy Armstrong immensly! Practically every Monday night for 3 years, and then every Wednesday night for the next year and a half, you could find me wherever Amy & Freddy were performing. Sometimes I would be surrounded by a large group of friends, sometimes only with Ben or Michele, and often by myself. I was there because Amy would awlays make me laugh and cry in one night - mostly laugh. The first time I cried at Voltaire was the night that I realized while Amy sang I Can't Make You Love Me that the boy I was seeing and in love with couldn't love me the way I wanted him too. Friends leaving - Stephen to Vancouver, BC, Brandon to Miami, all tears shed along with Amy. Every friend that came to visit would be taken to see Amy and every single one fell in love. I spent Christmas Eve 2004 with Michele and Patrick, arms around each other - quite drunk, swaying and singing along to Old Friend. Michele and I became friends through our weekly trips to see Amy. (an aside: Michele and Patrick just got engagedand I just had the brilliant idea that they need to have her sing at their wedding). So many memories I could go on for hours. An amazing vocalist, commediane, and entertainer, my life feels less charmed without her in it.

The first time I did Amy's makeup was for her role in a stage version of Rocky Horror Picture Show - a show I have always loved. Her part was that of Eddie, played by Meatloaf in the movie version. I had to make her look like a man. I told her it wasn't how I imagined my first time with her would be. Other occasions were more glamourous, New Year's Eve and the cd release party for Naturally Flawless. Through this we became friends.

Like Amy sang at the last performance at Voltaire (and many other nights), everything must change, and here I am in Atlanta, Georgia, just over six months now, enjoying the warm weather, but missing a lot about what was.

Visit www.amythediva.com and buy her cds, you bitches!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home